Thursday, January 28, 2010

Time to shape up!

I'm starting this blog to help keep me motivated to get healthy... For real this time!

I have to admit... I used to be the girl that everyone loved to hate. You know, the one who would devour an entire pizza and pint of ice cream without loosening the belt on her size 0 jeans. In high school, my metabolism was flying high. Just look at the rest of my family, and you'd see it!

After four years of college (aka beer pong, Chinese take-out, and hangover skillets), my weight had changed. I was still within a healthy weight range, but my body didn't feel right. Even though I cursed the aging that brought upon this change, I realize now that it was a blessing in disguise. Although my metabolism kept me blessedly free of many body-image issues in high school, it gave me a deceptively unhealthy "Get of Jail Free" card when it came to exercise and portion control. Even though I looked fit and healthy, I had sadly little muscle tone and had no idea how to take real care of my body.

So now, after countless failed attempts to get healthy and tone up, I'm doing it for real. I'm getting married in seven months, and even though I know I could get married today and feel proud of myself, I want to use this timeframe as a motivating factor to get healthy now, for life. Regardless of whether or not I lose any weight, I want to tone my body and make it strong. There's no excuse (barring injuries or medical conditions) for a girl of 23 to not be able to do one real push-up.

Here's my plan:

1. Food-wise: cut down saturated fats, high-fat dairy, processed sugars, and alcohol. I'm not going to deprive myself of my favorite foods (mmm, cheese and chocolate!), but I want to appreciate them and savor them. They should be an indulgence, not an afterthought.
I'm going to increase my intake of fiber from whole grains and fresh vegetables. I need to curb my mindless snacking. I swear, I have some sort of an oral fixation... I always have to be munching on something, even if I'm not hungry.

2. Activity-wise: move my body for at least 20 minutes, every day. No exceptions. At least three days a week, I need to do an hour of hard-core cardio. I'm going to use Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred to jumpstart my workouts. I plan on mixing it up with cardio/weights at the gym, brisk walks on Lake Michigan, and belly-dancing classes. I known myself, and I know I'll give up before I start if I try to do the same thing every day.

3. Limit myself to three alcoholic drinks per week, and no more than two on a single night. I'm not a big drinker, but even one drink per night can add up quickly. It's not good for my calorie count, skin, or muscle tone. I can keep it as a treat, but like my food indulgences, it should be an occasional thing to savor.

4. Log EVERYTHING onto Glamour's Body By Glamour program (http://www.glamour.com/bbg). It's similar to programs like The Daily Plate, where it gives you a place to log all of your meals and workouts to see how much you're REALLY eating and losing. There's a great set of forums and an inspirational blog. I'm the kind of person who needs emotional support and interaction to change, so I have high hopes for this.

5. Keep myself accountable here. Even though I doubt that anyone will read this but me, it might make a difference to know that I would have to write "Didn't work out today because.... Um, I have no idea." It's easy to push the thought away in my mind when I've had a long day and don't feel like moving. A wise woman I know on TheKnot.com once pointed out that a person never regrets working out after she's done, but it's easy to feel bad if you slack off and don't challenge yourself.

So.... Here! We! Go!

Current Stats:
Weight: 139 lbs. Goal: 134"
Bust: 33.5" Goal: 33"
Waist: 28.25" Goal: 26"
Hips: 38" Goal: 36"
Thigh: 23" Goal: 20.5"
Calf: 13.5" Goal: 12.5"
Upper Arm: 12" Goal: 10"

No comments:

Post a Comment